Outstanding Service Awards

Judge Glenda Allen-Hill’s professional and personal dedication to serving our community is deeply appreciated and deserves recognition. Her volunteer efforts include conducting pro-bono attorney training with Project First Step which provides representation for domestic violence victims. She has supported at-risk high school students through the CCLS and SOUL Charter School Street Law program by speaking to the class and as a role model for youth. 


The law firm of Dowling Aaron has supported, and continues to support, VLSP’s pro bono programs in many ways, including making a year-long commitment to developing and implementing a monthly civil litigation trail training program for CCLS attorneys and paralegals, and undertaking direct client representation on a pro bono basis.   


Four years ago, Lang Richert & Patch was a founding partner in the Workers’ Rights Clinic, which they continue to staff, pro bono every month; the clinic has now expanded to all three CCLS offices (Fresno, Merced and Visalia). Their firm has also dedicated pro bono project – a quarterly Senior Will Clinic. 


Wiley W. Manual Certificates

The Wiley W. Manual Certificate for Pro Bono Legal Services recognizes the contributions of the lawyers, law students, paralegals and secretaries who volunteer on behalf of low-income clients. An attorney who contributes 50 hours or more of pro bono service is eligible to receive a certificate from the State Bar.

CCLS also presented the Pro Bono Service Awards to individuals who contribute between 25 up to 50 hours of volunteer time. 









En Español

Before a landlord can evict you from a rental unit, the landlord must follow a legal process. In most situations, the eviction process begins with a notice. If the landlord attempts to have you removed from the unit without going through the legal process, or if you are served with an eviction lawsuit without first being served with a notice, you may contact our offices for legal advice. 

There are several types of notices your landlord can give (serve) you. For each notice, once the specified time expires (3-days, 30-days, 60-days or 90-days), if you have not complied with the notice then the landlord can sue you in Court with an eviction lawsuit, called an Unlawful Detainer. Different rules may apply if you are in subsidize housing (Section 8 Voucher) or live in a mobile home park. Here are some common examples:

3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit

Landlords use this notice when the tenant is behind on the rent. The notice must be in writing and include the following:

  • The full name of the tenant(s), their address and date of the notice;
  • A demand for no more than the amount of rent the tenant owes and it must be served after the stated amount becomes due; 
  • A clear statement that the tenant has 3 days to EITHER pay all the rent that is currently due or Quit (meaning get out of the rental unit); and
  • The name, telephone number and address of the person to whom the rent payment shall be made. If payment will be made in person, the notice must also include the hours of availability that payment may be received. 

3-Day Notice to Perform Covenants or Quit

Landlords use this notice when the tenant is breaking the lease/rental agreement and the problem can be fixed. For example, if the tenant is renting the unit to another person or allowing others to move in, not keeping the unit clean or is in violation of the agreement, the notice must ask the tenant to correct the violation within 3 days or move out. The notice must be in writing and include the following:

  • The full name of the tenant(s), their address and date of the notice;
  • Clear and specific details describing exactly what the tenant did to break the lease; and
  • Tell the tenant(s) that the problem must be fixed or the tenant(s) must move out in 3 days. 

3-Day Notice to Quit

This notice is used if there are ongoing problems with the tenant who causes or allows a "nuisance" on the property, uses the property to do something illegal (like sell drugs), threatens the health and safety of other tenants or the general public, or commits waste that lowers the value of the property significantly. The notice must be in writing and include the following:

  • The full name of the tenant(s), their address and date of the notice; and 
  • A clear and specific description of everything the tenant did to break the lease or deserve the 3-day notice to leave (including details and dates), and a clear statement explaining that the tenant has to move out within those 3 days, otherwise, a lawsuit will follow.

30 or 60-Day Notice to Quit or to Terminate Tenancy

A landlord can use a 30-day notice to end a month-to-month tenancy if the tenant has been renting that particular unit, for less than a year. A landlord must use a 60-day notice to end a month-to-month tenancy, if the tenant has been renting for more than one year and the landlord wants the tenant to move out. The notice must be in writing and include the following:

  • The full name of the tenant(s), their address and date of the notice;
  • State that the month-to-month tenancy will end in 30 days if the landlord is giving a 30-day notice or in 60 days if s/he is giving a 60-day notice. 

Landlords generally do NOT need to state a reason for giving this notice. The 30 or 60-day notice to Terminate Tenancy may be served for any reason or no reason at all except that tenants are protected against “retaliatory evictions” or “discriminatory evictions.” If you believe that you are being evicted in retaliation or discrimination, you should seek legal advice. You are still required to pay rent during the notice period.

90-Day Notice to Quit or to Terminate Tenancy Section 8:

A landlord must use this kind of notice if:

  • Tenant is receiving assistance through the Housing Choice Voucher (also known as Section 8),
  • Tenancy is within 90 days of the end of the first year or past the first year and is now on a month-to-month basis,
  • If those two requirements are met, the landlord does NOT have to give reason to terminate the tenancy, and
  • Notice must be dated and state tenant has 90 days to move out.

Short notices may be appropriate if there is good cause for eviction. If you receive a short notice you should seek legal advice. 

There are also other types of notices that your landlord can serve you such as: 24-hour notice, 5-day notice, 7-day notice, 10-day notice, 14-day notice, etc. The Court can serve you notices as well, such as, Notice of Restricted Access; Notice of Trial Date; Notice of Entry of Judgment, etc. For further information, please visit the California Courts Self-Help Center at: www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/

This is general information on the law, which may change.  For specific legal problems, you should consult with a lawyer.

La regla general es que si usted alquila de mes a mes, entonces el propietario puede aumentar su alquiler. Sin embargo, el propietario deberá darle por lo menos un aviso por escrito de 30 días y el aumento no podrá ser efectivo hasta que los 30 días hayan pasado.  Otras restricciones pueden existir si vive en viviendas financiadas por el gobierno.

Otras limitaciones de la regla general existen:

  • Si el propuesto aumento de renta supera el 10% del alquiler que se cobra en cualquier momento durante o anterior de los 12 meses, entonces el propietario deberá darle por lo menos un aviso de 60 días de anticipación del aumento del alquiler y que el aviso no será efectivo hasta que hayan pasado los 60 días.
    Usted también deberá recibir un aviso de 60 días cuando la suma de todos los aumentos de alquiler en los últimos 12 meses supera más del 10% del alquiler durante ese periodo.
  • El propietario no puede aumentar su renta si el aumento es en represalia porque usted haya ejercido sus derechos legales.  Por ejemplo, el propietario no puede aumentar su renta, porque usted se quejo por un defecto en su unidad, tales como falta de agua caliente o falta de calefacción.
    Sin embargo, si usted se rehúsa a pagar el aumento del alquiler y el propietario decide tomar los pasos apropiados para desalojarlo, usted tendrá que demonstrar que el aumento del alquiler fue en represalia.
  • Si usted tiene un contrato de arrendamiento a plazo fijo (6 meses o un año), entonces el propietario no podrá aumentar su renta durante la duración del arrendamiento a menos que el contrato demuestre específicamente el aumento del alquiler.
  • La mayoría de los contratos de arrendamiento vienen a plazo fijo incluyendo una cláusula llamada "Ocupación después de Vigencia del Contrato" (Holding Over).  La clásula establece que normalmente si usted se queda más allá de la duración de su contrato, con el consentimiento del propietario (consentimiento puede ser, si el propietario continua aceptando el alquiler), usted se convierte en una inquilino de mes a mes, pero siguen todas las demás cláusulas del contrato.
    Una vez que usted se convierte en un inquilino de mes a mes, el propietario puede aumentar la renta en cualquier momento y por cualquier cantidad, siempre que le dé un aviso de 30 o 60 días del aumento de la renta.

Este información general sobre la ley, que puede cambiar.  Para información sobre un problema legal, usted debe consultar con un abogado.

Cuando el propietario le ha dado un aviso (3-días, 30-días, etc.) y el tiempo en el aviso ha terminado, él/ella puede presentar documentos de desalojo con el tribunal.  Esto se llama una demanda de "retención ilícita" (Unlawful Detainer).  Después de que la demanda sea presentada, el propietario le "notificará" a través de una demanda y un citatorio.  Usted debe buscar asesoramiento legal immediatamente.

Tiene 5 días desde la fecha en que recibió su aviso para responder con su "respuesta" ante el tribunal.  Para contar los 5 días para presentar su respuesta, no se cuenta el día en que se le presento su aviso, el primer día es el día después en que fue entregado su aviso y tiene hasta el cierre del tribunal en el quinto día.  Los fines de semana son contados como parte de los 5 días a menos que el último día caiga en fin de semana, entonces usted tendrá hasta el día siguiente.

¿Qué sucede si no Contesto?

Su respuesta a la queja de retención ilícita se llama una "respuesta" (Answer).  Si usted no presenta una "respuesta" dentro de los 5 días, el propietario podría obtener un fallo por incumplimiento en su contra.  Esto significa que usted perderá el caso sin la oportunidad de presentarse ante el tribunal y explicar su lado de la historia al juez.  Si un incumplimiento es emitido, el alguacil (Sheriff) saldrá y pondrá en su puerta un "Aviso de Desalojo" (Notice to Vacate), dándole 5 días para mudarse.  Sí usted no se mueve antes de la fecha indicada en el aviso, el alguacil vendrá y procederá a desalojarlo y hará un cierre de su propiedad en la unidad.  Si sus pertenecías están encerradas adentro de la propiedad, usted tendrá que pagar el costo de almacenamiento para recuperar sus pertenencias, dentro de 15 días.

¿Qué sucede si Contesto?

Si usted presenta su "respuesta" dentro de los 5 días, usted obtendrá  una fecha para asistir a su audiencia.  El juicio será fijado en 10 a 20 días, después que usted haya presentado su respuesta. Sí GANA el juicio, usted se podrá quedar en la propiedad.  Si el tribunal le ordena pagar el alquiler, usted tendrá 5 días para pagar.

¿Qué sucede si pierdo el Juicio?

Si usted pierde el juicio, el propietario puede pedirle al alguacil que le entregue el "Aviso de Desalojo" (Notice to Vacate) que le fijará un plazo para desalojarlo, por lo general en unos 5 días. Si usted no se mueve dentro de los 5 días, el alguacil vendrá y lo sacara y hará un cierre forzoso de la propiedad. Si sus pertenencias se quedan encerradas adentro, usted tendrá que pagar costos de almacenamiento (pero no por el alquiler atrasado) para que sus cosas le sean devueltas. Lo mejor es que usted retire todas sus pertenencias antes de desalojar la propiedad.

Este información general sobre la ley, que puede cambiar.  Para información sobre un problema legal, usted debe consultar con un abogado.